Keyingham St Nicholas
church web site
The Seventh Century
It seems likely that the first church was built in Keyingham, or Chaingeham, during the time when Saint Wilfrid was Bishop of York, towards the end of the 7th century, for it is known that Wilfrid initiated a great missionary drive into the East Riding and inspired the building of many churches. It is reasonable to suppose that one of these was planted near Keyingham Hill Top, more or less where the present church stands. One may guess that it would initially have been built of wood, though by the time of Edward the Confessor it was certainly a more permanent structure, recorded as having its own priest, with a nearby mill, and surrounded by prosperous farmsteads and fertile lands. It has been suggested that the general plan of the Church may soon have evolved to something similar to the present, with a nave and chancel, and with two aisles, though with a low roof and low, clustered pillars.
Plan of the Church for the restoration of 1885, very much as it is today, though the Chapel shown is now the vestry.