The Parish of St Nicholas Keyingham
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The following policy was agreed by the Parochial Church Council (PCC) via email on the 9th October 2020 and will be ratified at the next meeting of the PCC.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture;
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people, and vulnerable adults within the church;
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation;
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons;
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons;
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all;
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures;
- Safely recruit, train, and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people, and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse;
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish;
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of whom to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs;
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse;
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately;
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred;
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties;
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures, and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually;
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures, and Practices at least annually
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Mrs Sue Dughan as the parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent — Reverend Alisdair Laird
Churchwardens — Sue Dughan and John Rees
Date: 9th October 2020
PDF of our Safeguarding Policy for downloading/printing
Anyone with any concerns regarding the care and protection of children, young people, and vulnerable adults involved in Church activities should use the Contact Page to send a message to Sue Dughan, and this will be passed on immediately.
This link to the Diocese of York Home Page for Safeguarding also gives contact details for the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser.